Formed in 1868, White Brothers began as the Straut-White Company, originally located in San Francisco at Sacramento & Davis streets.
In 1872, Peter White, one the partners, was joined by his brother, Asa. Together they bought out Straut's interests and renamed the company White Brothers. Later, a third brother, Jacob joined the firm.
The following years were prosperous for White Brothers, and to keep pace with a growing business and an increasing inventory, the company expanded into larger and larger spaces. They moved their headquarters from their original location to Market & California, then to Main near the docks, then to Spear & Howard. It was at this location that disaster struck. On April 18, 1906, the San Francisco earthquake and fire all but leveled the city. Incredibly, the inventory at White Brothers was spared, leaving it the only company in San Francisco with a supply of hardwood lumber. In the spirit of helping to rebuild the city, White Brothers did not take advantage of the disaster by raising its prices.
In 1910, the company moved to 5th & Brannan Streets where it stayed until 1948. Jacob’s son, Charles Henry White, managed the company from 1920 to 1948, at which time the company moved across the Bay to Oakland. From there, C.H. White’s sons, Don, Charles and their cousin, W.T. White, Jr., carried on the tradition of the founders.
Now a fourth generation of the White family, Don F. White, Jr., continues the proud 130-year-old tradition that is the White Brothers Hardwood Lumber Company. Over the years, White Brothers has developed an excellent reputation for quality millwork and outstanding service. Today our commitment to quality and service is stronger than ever. As the company has grown, so has our focus on high quality millwork.
White Brothers is more than just a lumber supplier.